Saturday, January 3, 2009

Where Shepherds Lately Knelt

Written at the request of Augsburg Publishing House for a Christmas song for their 1987 Christmas Annual, Jaroslav Vajda penned this text in 1986.  Vajda sought to place himself in spirit at the humble manger bed and review the implications of such a visit for himself and for all human beings.  As the Christmas season comes to its conclusion, it is good to visit the manger one more time in order to ponder the significance of Immanuel, "God-with-us" in the flesh.

1.  Where shepherds lately knelt and kept the angel's word,
     I come in half-belief, a pilgrim strangely stirred:
          but there is room and welcome there for me,
          but there is room and welcome there for me.

2.  In that unlikely place I find Him as they said:
     sweet newborn Babe, how frail! and in a manger bed:
          a still small Voice to cry one day for me,
          a still small Voice to cry one day for me.

3.  How should I not have known Isaiah would be there,
     his prophecies fulfilled?  With pounding heart, I stare:
          a Child, a Son, the Prince of Peace--for me,
          a Child, a Son, the Prince of Peace--for me.

4.  Can I, will I forget how Love was born and burned
      its way into my heart--unasked, unforced, unearned,
           to die, to live, and not alone for me,
           to die, to live, and not alone for me?
          

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful words, but is there a melody? I've given away all the old Christmas Annual volumes. Was a melody printed there?