1. God chose the foolishness of Christ,
To shame the worldly wise;
To shame the strong, God chose the weak,
The lowly and despised.
2. God chose the folly of the cross,
That Christ be crucified:
To bear sin's curse, to die man's death,
That all be justified.
3. God chose each one of us in Christ
Before the world began,
Adopting us by lavish grace
According to His plan!
4. God chose that water with the Word
Should cleanse us from our sin:
Baptized into Christ's death and life,
His Spirit lives within.
5. God chose that preaching of the cross--
His wisdom from on high--
Should be the Church's mighty pow'r
To grow and multiply.
6. God chose that simple bread and wine
Christ's Word should thus decree:
"This is My body and My blood,
From sin to set you free."
7. God chose for us in Christ the best
Our world has even known;
For all His good and perfect gifts,
We boast in God alone!